Tuesday, November 2, 2010

We Interrupt This Journey for a Thing Called Life

Hi everyone. I know it's been a while since my last post. A few people have even called to ask if Kaitlyn's foot fell off or something. LOL
I am happy to report (although it took an entire month!) her foot is completely healed and we will be returning to our RV adventures sometime very soon.
So what's been going on?
Flash back to the end of September.  We were on course to attend the fundraiser we came home for and get back on the road when life got in the way. Actually, it was more like divine intervention because I thank God I was in town to be here for my Dad.
Below is what I call a therapy post. I find writing to be very therapeutic. I'm sure the post below is what some might consider to be an "overshare." I don't care. I feel better since I got it out of my head and down on paper (I guess it's on screen).
If you are brave enough or even just curious (dare I say, "nosey"?), keep reading for a look behind the curtain of my life...
Thirty-five days ago, I got the phone call every child dreads getting. “Kelly, we’re taking your Dad to the ER…”
I have to admit, I wasn’t completely surprised.  Dad’s three pack-a-day smoking habit and 50 years in construction was finally catching up with him. 
Before we left on the first leg of our trip at the end of August, we visited Dad to say goodbye.  He didn’t talk much and looked like he just didn’t feel well.  Deep down, I knew it was only a matter of time yet I still hoped that phone call would never come.
My Dad was always a private person, never one to share his pain or his fears. He suffered in silence until he couldn’t hide it anymore.  The people he surrounded himself with couldn’t ignore it anymore either.  Thus the trip to the ER.
It took about a week for the hospital to figure out what was going on.  Dad had stage 4 lung cancer that had spread extensively to his brain. 
Here’s the short version of a long story, we called in Hospice and brought Dad home to our house (not a popular decision with his lady “friend”).  We cared for him as we watched him slowly slip away.
While it was tough, it was a blessing too.  At the beginning of the month, we had some really good conversations.  We reminisced.  Our family reconnected.  He passed on bits of his wisdom.  He made us laugh and cry.  He faced impending death peacefully, courageously and with his unique sense of humor. He was surrounded by those who loved him completely and unconditionally.
When someone you love is dying, you learn a lot about them, about yourself, the people you love and the people that say they love you too.  Death brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.
We’ve been blessed with the best in most of those involved in Dad’s life. The people who really matter anyway.  We have no regrets.  Dad was well cared for and, thankfully, passed away peacefully in his sleep.
Thank you to everyone who made Dad a priority during the last month of his life.  We are grateful to everyone who sent prayers, offered to help, gave a hug, visited and took the time to share their special memories.  Your good deeds and kindness will return to you a thousand-fold.
Lastly, a special note to a few people that shall remain nameless.  Let’s just call them the “the dark-hearted ones” (you know who you are), there is no doubt karma will find you too.  When it does, I hope you think of Dad.
~ Kelly
I promise (I hope) all future posts will have the appropriate amount of witty satire, sarcastic humor and downright snarkiness you all have come to expect and love.

Until next time...carpe diem!

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with all of your words......been a lot of memories rolling thru my head these last couple weeks.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    Nice post. No doubt your Dad would have appreciated it. I always loved that handsome man. I'm sorry I didn't get to see him. Call me if you need to talk.

    KIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said, Kelly! Your father was a wonderful man, and I am so blessed to have shared a small part in his care during the last month of his life. Now enjoy your road trip, as it is what he would want for you, and the family. He will no longer be worrying about you anymore, as he is now your guardian angel. Have a great adventure<3

    ReplyDelete