Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sitka & Ketchikan, Alaska

Our next two stops were in Sitka and Ketchikan, Alaska. By the time we made it to Sitka, Andrew was completely exhausted which put a damper on our sight seeing in Sitka.

Sitka was the capital of Alaska when Russia still owned it. So there is a lot of Russian influence in the area. The churches and artwork were interesting to look at but Andrew was having none of it so back to the ship we went. (I have to admit, we all were tired though.)

An eagle perched atop a church tower in Sitka.
In Ketchikan, we watched a lumberjack show and picked up some smoked salmon to bring home with us. Tom and I had visited Ketchikan about 12 years ago and the city seemed to have changed a lot from what we remember. We only had a four-hour stop here though so we had to make a quick pass through the city.

Kaitlyn said one of her favorite things about the cruise was dressing up every night for dinner. I have to admit, the kids looked cute and it was nice to see them in something other than shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops. Of course, dressing up was Andrew's least favorite part of the trip.

Kaitlyn posing on the veranda.
Sue and Andrew enjoying cocktails before dinner.
We had so much fun on the cruise. It was nice to get out of the RV for a week. Re-entry into the real world was a little challenging too. I was depressed the day we got back to the RV and I had to think of what I wanted to eat and then actually fix it myself! (Oh, OK. Tom probably fixed it for me but I'm sure it was hard on him too! LOL)

The one benefit of driving the RV to Seattle to catch the cruise was we were home in 45-minutes while Tom's sisters weren't even at the airport yet! And, an hour and a half later, we were done with five loads of laundry (washed, dried and put away)! I'm not sure the rest of the family had even boarded their flights yet.

On the down side....they have been home for a couple weeks now and we still have ten more days to go before we get HOME! I can't wait to get home.....

No comments:

Post a Comment